Please use the link below to access Bug Club:
Questions to ask your child when reading
Before reading the book:
• Can you point to the title? or What is this? (pointing to the title)
• What do you think this story will be about? What might happen in the story?
• What do we call the writing on the back of the book? (Blurb) or What does the blurb tell us?
During the reading of the book:
• What is happening in the pictures?
• What has happened so far? Is it what you expected to happen?
• What might happen next? How do you think the story might end?
• What sort of character is….? Is he/she friendly/ mean/ nice…?
At the end of the book:
• Did you like this book? Why? (Encourage children to develop their opinion about books by encouraging them to explain their reasons)
• What was your favourite part? Why?
• What was the most interesting/ exciting part of the book? Can you find it?
• What sort of character was….?
• Why did that character do … (give a situation/ event from the story)?
• What happened in the story?